It’s an exciting day when you find out that a friend’s book is up for an award! I’m talking about Sue Lowell Gallion and her book Pug Meets Pig is up for the 2018 Missouri Building Block Picture Book Award. The award is sponsored by the Missouri Library Association and is voted on each year by preschoolers throughout the state in our public libraries. Voting takes place this fall and is meant t encourage reading aloud to children from birth to kindergarten.
I like to read books from a variety of awards because they offer you an opportunity to see what book sellers vs librarians vs young readers like. For writers, the Building Block awards are especially helpful because each nominated title is accompanied by a PDF. This file includes songs, activities and companion books. There are a lot of fun ideas and a lot of inspiration for anyone looking to create young story tine activities to go with their own books.
The nominees for this year are:
- The Giant Jumperee by Julia Donaldson
- I Got a New Friend by Karl Newsom Edwards
- Barnacle is Bored by Jonathan Fenske
- Plankton is Pushy by Jonathan Fenske
- Go Sleep in Your Own Bed! by Candace Fleming
- A Good Day for a Hat by T. Nat Fuller
- Pug Meets Pig by Sue Lowell Gallion
- Carrot & Pea: An Unlikely Friendship by Morag Hood
- Spunky Little Monkey by Bill Martin Jr. and Michael Sampson
- Everybunny Dance! by Ellie Sandall
You can access the various activities here. I have to admit that I’ve only read two of them so far (Pug Meets Pig and The Giant Jumperee) so I’m really looking forward to reading these books and checking out the various activities.
And? Go, Pug! Go, Pig! Go, Sue Gallion!