I have to admit that I liked writing numerous posts about picture books throughout November. Since I don’t know of a writing related “month” for December, I’m going to make up my own. December is going to be Opportunity Month.
Why Opportunity Month? Because I think we all need a reminder very now and then to take advantage of the many opportunities that come our way. No, we can’t take advantage of them all. But I think we use this as an excuse to let far too many pass on by.
So the first opportunity that I’m going to tell you about is a contest. This one has a fast approaching deadline (12/10/2018) but why not take advantage if you have a story that is suitable. Author Susanna Leonard Hill is sponsoring her 7th Annual Holiday Contest.
To be qualified a story must:
- Be about a holiday surprise. She welcomes stories about ” Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or whatever you celebrate.”
- The word count has to come in at 250 words or less. Writer shorter if you like but stop at 250 words.
- Must go up on your blog between 12/7 and 12/10 EST. You then have to add your link to comments on her official holiday contest post which will go up 12/7.
Initial judging will be based on:
- Kid Appeal. Stories are intended for readers 12 and under.
- Holiday specific.
- Contain a surprise.
- Be well written with a main character and story arc.
- Be original.
Good luck if you decide to enter. I’m going to be looking through my files to see if I have anything suitable.