The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators just announced their latest round of award winners.
The 2011 Sid Fleischman Award for Humor goes to . . .
- Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberburg (Aladdin)
The 2011 Golden Kite Award Winners are:
- Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm (Random House) for Fiction.
- The Good, The Bad, and the Barbie by Tanya Lee Stone (Viking) for Nonfiction.
- Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan (Viking) for Picture Book Text.
- A Pocketful of Posies by Salley Mavor (Houghton Mifflin) for Picture Book Illustration.
The 2011 Golden Kite Honor Books are:
- Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine (Puffin) for Fiction.
- Fort Mose by Glennette Tilley Turner (Abrams) for Nonfiction.
- Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein (Candlewick)
- Bunny Days by Tao Nyeu (Dial)
Take a moment and request of few of these titles from your local library. The manuscript that you submit has to stand up to manuscripts such as these. Sure, the finished books have had editorial attention, but the manuscripts stood up and got the editor’s attention even before then.
Can you see what makes each of these books marketable?