Help, help! We have winter weather! Sorry. Just had to get that out there. If I don’t panic at least a little bit, they’ll come throw me out of St. Louis for being a panic pooper. That said, school is letting out two hours early (word problem: when do I need to pick up the kids?) so who knows how much work time I’ll have this week. We shall see what we shall see.
I did pretty good last week given the amount of time I had to spend on layout and other things that don’t generate word count. I pulled down 6529 words with a goal of 6000. Maybe I can manage that again this week if the polar bears don’t get us all.
Here are my goals for this week:
- 5 posts for One Writer’s Journey (Done!).
- 1 post/review for the Bookshelf (Done!).
- 1 post for a new blog that I’ll be telling everyone about soon — we are ironing out the details (Done!).
- 1 blog post for Church (Done!).
- 3 new chapters for middle grade (Done!).
- Smooth over problems in several chapters of middle grade/I need to clean up 20 pages (Done!).
- Script rewrites (in progress).
- Read a new how-to chapter (Done!).
- I may have a magazine article to write (in progress).
- Clean up a pile here in my office (Done!).
- Brainstorm some new ideas (in progress).
- Write up at least one craft idea for a new market.
Have you noticed how similar my list is from one week to the next. Part of this is because blog posts ALWAYS need to be written. Also, my office is good sized so cleaning up a big mess in here is a very big job. Also, I’ve not made any noticeable progress on the middle grade in two weeks now. Part of the problem is that I haven’t figured out the mechanics of something in my fantasy world so I guess I better do that already. Maybe I’ll get my son to help.
Since we’re heading into a new month, I thought I’d take a look at my yearly goals.
My goals for this year include:
- Study: Poetry, essays, memoir and language. I’ve been working on essays and making steady progress. What I’ve noticed about the book is that the techniques I am working through will help with all of my writing and not just my essays.
- Do some online tutorials so that I can learn some more tricks for the programs I already use (Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat).
- Clean up my office. I’ve made really good progress here.
- Redesign and update my site.
- Come up with a new manuscript tracking system (either construct a new database or find a new program).
- Get 6 book projects out and circulating. New book manuscript out with an agent.
- Work on getting an agent. See above.
Not as far as I’d like to be. I can see that I really need to take a look at these goals once a week.
How is everyone else doing on their goals?