Happy New Year everyone!
I’m going to post my goals today but I’m not really going to accomplish much until tomorrow when everyone goes back to work/school. You know that isn’t an excuse I rely on — you have to write to be a writer and sometimes this means writing when other people are home. But after facing a series of deadlines around Christmas and New Years, I’ve cut things back to the must-do and have taken a few days more or less off. Shhh. Don’t tell anyone. I’l be writing this blog post and roughing two other things and then heading out for our family New Year’s hike (New Year’s Day was accompanied by tornadoes so we put it off).
Last week, because of two days off, I only pulled down 4739 words. This week, I really do need to make at least 6000.
My goals for this week include:
- 5 posts for One Writer’s Journey (Done!)
- 1 post for Prayables (Done!)
- 2 reviews for Prayables (Done!)
- 1 review for the Bookshelf (Done!)
- 1 blog post for Church (Done!)
- Script rewrites (Done!)
- 1 chapter for the middle grade (Done!)
- Work on the outline for the middle grade (in progress).
- Take one more look at the picture book I’m rewriting and then get it out for critique (Done!)
- Read a chapter in a how-to (Done!)
- Clean up a pile or two here on my desk (Done!).
That’s 11 items; I was shooting for 10 since I should have five work days. We shall see how it goes!
My goals for this year include:
- Study: Poetry, essays, memoir and language.
- Do some online tutorials so that I can learn some more tricks for the programs I already use (Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat).
- Clean up my office.
- Redesign and update my site.
- Come up with a new manuscript tracking system (either construct a new database or find a new program).
- Get 6 book projects out and circulating.
- Work on getting an agent.
So as you can see, the last 5 goals on my weekly list work toward those annual goals. This is something I wasn’t so good about in 2010 as I established my weekly goals so we’ll see how this works in 2011!
Happy writing and illustrating, all!