You’ve heard the saying, “Too many cooks spoil the soup.”
Too many goals are no better. I didn’t ruin anything, but I didn’t make much progress on anything either. A little progress on a large number of things is much less impressive than a lot of progress on one or two things.
Here’s what I did accomplish:
- Did the interview for the Q&A article.
- Wrote interview questions for another article and solicited almost all of the interviews I need.
- I came up with a really good outline for another article and started doing the background research.
- Finished my reading for the book review.
- Did some more historic research for one picture book.
- Worked on the rewrite for the other.
- Sent in the magazine article.
Because my husband will be having surgery in October, I’m not really sure what I’ll manage to accomplish but there are things that need to be done as well as things I simply want to do. You know, things editors are waiting for vs things they aren’t.
So here are my goals through the end of October. I’ll mark the things I want to work on this week in red even if they are things I don’t intend to finish.
- Finish writing the Q&A article.
- Finish all three interview based articles.
- Write the book review round up.
- Write and submit a solicited craft project as well as pitching several more.
- Write my two talks for the Missouri SCBWI conference.
- Finish the historical research for the picture book.
- Finish rewriting the second picture book.
- Rewrite the chapter book.
- Start working on another picture book – this is the one I want to have ready for a retreat in 2010.
My son has Friday off this week, my husband will be scheduling his surgery and one of the cats will most likely be having surgery too. This week and this month will be challenging!