This fall I’ll be doing the basics discussion for beginners, “Everything you need to know to get started in children’s publishing,” at the Missouri SCBWI conference.
Of course, I’ll cover:
- Reading what is being published today.
- Reading work by your target publisher.
- Submitting to a specific editor.
- Write and rewrite (handout on rewriting).
- How to format a manuscript (handout).
- Where to find out what editors want (handout).
But I’m sure there are things I’m forgetting. After all, I haven’t been a beginner in quite a while.
What do you wish someone had told you when you were just starting out? What didn’t you know that you wish you had? What would have made it all much, much easier?
I welcome your suggestions!